Friday, May 28, 2010

Three AM Ushanka

Last night, our first big thunderstorm of the year rolled through during the wee sma's. The terrified animals woke Jack up, and he woke me up, at least for a couple of minutes.

As the lightning flashed and the thunder roared all around and right over the top of us, Clancy moaned, howled, and barked. If he thought he could scare it off, he was mistaken.

Diesel was different, though no less terrified. Jack tried to hold him close, and turned over to cradle him more tightly. I snuggled up and got ready to go back to sleep. Diesel wiggled his way loose and started to try and worm his way in between us. I held on tight, but he made it in anyway. Then he laid down with his nose up to my chin, and purred frenetically. The scarier it got, the louder he purred.

Several times my slumber was disturbed by that poor cat as he went back and forth between hiding under the covers and wrapping himself around our heads like a demented Russian fur hat.

PURR PURR PURR PURR PURR

The storm didn't bother me a bit, but it was pretty hard to sleep through the cat. Never mind the barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark.


May 29, 2010

Another, smaller t-storm came by shortly after 2 this morning. The barkbarkbark woke me up, and I wondered what Diesel was doing. It felt like a rock was pressed against the back of my knees, so I checked there first.

Diesel curled there into a solid little ball, unmoving except for his lips. Over and over he whispered to himself, "There's no place like home! There's no place like home!"

Until the next adventure,
Noni Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment