Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bismarck, Take 2


This was clear back in February. My bad. I have even older posts still to come. My worse.

Our second trip to the dentist was less eventful than the first, at the first. We had just enough time to stop at the interpretive center/rest area, which the rugrats DID NOT want to leave when it was time.

They touched and tried on virtually everything, even a buffalo robe, in less than five minutes. You can see how well Devon fared from having a buffalo pelt rubbed on his head, in case you ever wondered what Native American bed-head looks like. (If you haven't read it before, Jack and all 3 kids are members of the Sac & Fox tribe in Oklahoma.)

We raced on to the dentist, arriving just on time to his fabulously decorated and wildly colorful tribute to vintage automotive Americana. The doc even wears scrubs made to look like a mechanic's uniform!

Damon's favorite part, as before, was seeing his dental work projected onto a large TV up on the wall. Weird little kid. Must take after his dad, know what I mean?

The roads in town were better than before. You could actually see some of the lines between the lanes, and I had to drive by imagination (or Braille) much less of the time. The snow mountains by Taco Bell had grown, not so much taller as much wider.

It was dark and foggy by the time we left Minot, less than half-way home. Did I mention it was foggy? I'll spare you (meaning myself) the gory details, but I ended up taking a wrong turn and driving even farther out of my way than I had the previous trip! Tina joked that I was the author of the critically acclaimed travel guide, "99 Ways to NOT Come Home from Bismarck".

Pfft, says I. Minot might as well be a corn maze, and I challenge her to do any better! A map blight upon her and her children.

Very late, and very, very tired, we finally dragged in and staggered to bed. All except me, who had to carry a zillion groceries in from the car and put them away.

Why, oh why did I stop in Minot to go to Wal Mart?

Until the next adventure,
Noni Beth





No comments:

Post a Comment