Saturday, July 14, 2012

Starting with Skjermo


Where to start? Where to start? The longest-ago blog that I remember needing to write, was when we joined Tina for a few hours as she camped out at Lake Skjermo. There may be more, but I fear that it’s gone forever, unless I turn up additional photographic evidence to jar my memory. Don’t worry, some things, like taking the kids to smokejumper training, would be impossible to forget, even if I wanted to.

Thus I shall do the best I can to recreate the last several months, starting with the Skjermo Picnic, back on May 12.





It was an enjoyable day at the lake, quiet except around us. Tina had a fire going to cook our veggie weenies, and what camping trip would be complete without S’mores?

For any of you who haven’t already become acquainted with this traditional camping treat, you take a graham cracker, chocolate bar, and marshmallow, and heat them up till the chocolate and marshmallow are all melted into a graham cracker sandwich. The tidiest way is to wrap the concoction in foil and set it near the fire to warm, but the more adventurous balance it carefully on weenie roaster sticks.
With no foil along, we went with the adventurous method.

Since I despise marshmallows, my S’more consisted only of chocolate and graham cracker. I called it a S’less. Then the weenie stick tilted ever so slightly, the S’less S’lid into the fire, and suddenly I had a S’none.


We stayed till dark before leaving Tina there in her tan metal tent, abruptly surrounded with silence.









See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil,
Smell No Evil

No comments:

Post a Comment